Endorsements Souldier Fender Celestion Fender Custom Shop D'Addario D'Addario

The Campy Forum

Be polite and respectful. Don't sell stuff. No envy, no fear, no meanness.
Nang Nang
  • Alright - I committed to posting a version of Nang Nang once I'd learned it, so here it is. I actually did this about a month ago, but just getting around to posting it now (2 hours before 2017 - MST).

It's a little slower than the recording, and I missed a few of the behind the nut bends, but overall I'm really happy with how it turned out, and it's getting better as I keep playing. I've gotten some great comments from people who don't know the original, and hopefully I'm helping to turn a few people on to Jim's music.

Really great lesson, and I welcome any feedback. I've already moved through Stardust since completing this lesson, so now on to the next...

https://youtu.be/UBoGmEOn4jc

Happy New Year, everyone!
  • Doug- Terrific work! That’s so great- I kind of like the way you play it- better then I play it!

Look - I love the sound you get bending the strings - and this might be nitpicking, but I bend mostly towards the ceiling - and for me, it allows me to grab a notes above the bend because I’m pushing strings out of the way, instead of pulling into the higher strings. But again, this might be nitpicking because you sound wonderful. And it might be a lot of brain work to change your approach.

Keep up the great work - Thanks for posting and happy new year!

PS - Love your "Chet test" too.
  • Nice job Doug. I enjoyed it a lot.
  • Thanks, guys - really appreciate the feedback!

Jim, I actually started playing the song by bending up, as you suggest. I gave it a try this morning, and think I can still play it that way. I switched to bending down for the most part, because I felt it gave me a bit more control, and it also saved my fingers (my nails tend to pull away from my finger when I practice larger bends, esp. behind the nut). So, I've become something of an ambi-bender.

Really fun playing this song, and it's a very cool lesson. I may delve into the Steel Guitar lesson next, as the steel guitar parts on Nang Nang were an enjoyable challenge (esp. when manipulating the tone control).

Also - thanks for listening to "Chet Test" (now renamed appropriately). That was meant to be a soundcheck for my video setup, but I included a few things from other lessons, a few things from your Route 7 clinic on YouTube, and a few original licks as well. Another great lesson!

Thanks again - the feedback means a lot. Your lessons have really helped me to up my game!
  • Really nice job, Dougg!

If you're looking to delve deeper into steel guitar concepts translated into the guitar fretboard, then I highly recommend that you get the Four Wheel Drive lesson at some point. It´s an absolutely unique lesson and one of my all time favorites. Also, if I may, i would say that that's actually where some of the inspiration for Nang Nang came from.
  • Thanks, Rogerio - appreciate it! I'll definitely keep Four Wheel in mind for my 2017 lesson list.
  • "...Also - thanks for listening to "Chet Test" (now renamed appropriately). That was meant to be a soundcheck for my video setup, but I included a few things from other lessons, a few things from your Route 7 clinic on YouTube, and a few original licks as well. Another great lesson!
    ..."

Thank you so much - would it be asking to much to credit me somewhere? I'm not looking for fame and money, it's just a good habit to practice and I know I've never regretted doing so.

Thanks again and happy holidays!

PS Four Wheel Drive is a challenging one indeed!
  • Great work on Nang Nang dougg...watching that video also led me to your Chet video...wow! That is awesome, and has inspired me to make that my next LBM. Keep up the good work in 2017!
  • Jim, no problem. I'll add appropriate notes to the YouTube description today, and my apologies for not doing so initially. Your lessons and music are a big inspiration, and it would be my pleasure to credit you.

And thanks, telemjl - it's really a great lesson!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!