Endorsements Souldier Fender Celestion Fender Custom Shop D'Addario D'Addario

The Campy Forum

Be polite and respectful. Don't sell stuff. No envy, no fear, no meanness.
favorite xmas movies
  • I still try to be good... and I like a good xmas movie...

Friends - Although a smaller market (I assume) feel free to include all religious movies Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism...

Bad Santa
    Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
    A Christmas Story (1983)
  • It's A Wonderful Life (1946)
    The Bishop's Wife (1947) - HIGHLY underrated!!!!
    Miracle On 34th Street (1947)
    A Christmas Story (1983)
    Bells of St. Mary's (1945)
    -The Bells of St. Mary's has come to be commonly associated with the Christmas season, due most likely to
    the inclusion of a scene involving a Christmas pageant at the school, and the fact that the film was
    released in December 1945.

... I also have a version of Charles Dickens "A Christmas Carol", performed SOLO by Patrick Stewart (audio only), back when he was doing it as a 1-man show on Broadway (which I went to see at the time). Supremely talented! I know they made it a movie, but it "lost something in translation" from the broadway show and audiobook, imo. But that happens alot when trying to make things into movies.

BTW- while 2 of the movies, "Bishop's Wife" and "St. Marys" do include religious themes... there's no "fire and brimstone", or any of that... the clergy just provides the backdrop in which to tell the story, Christ is, after all, "the REASON for the season", as they say.
  • I'll add:
    Christmas Vacation
    Die Hard (not really a Christmas movie per se...but I have to watch it every year)

Attachments
    vx510.jpg 28K
  • Great thread and choices!
    I guess I'll add two that are more on the weird side but still classics, IMO:

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (1964)
    Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984)
  • It is funny that Die Hard has become a "Christmas movie" LOL... I've heard alot of people say that!
  • I'm not really big on Christmas, but
    Home Alone 1
    I have watched several times. Chemistry worked the first time... not so much in the sequels.
    By the way, Jim & the Cats' Christmas CD would have fit perfectly in that film.

PS. Isn't enjoying seeing Hans Gruber fall from Nakatomi kind of against the spirit of Christmas? You know, peace, love and forgiveness... ; )
  • Die Hard is a masterpiece!
  • It's nice to see a minute or two of a rerun of a xmas movie, like:
    these from my childhood "The snowman", "Gremlins" or
    ;)
    or these more recent ones: "in Bruges", "Santa"
    or even the classics: "It's a wonderful life"

But I don't really watch any of them in full length, seen them enough. Except the Marx bros one, I sure will if it was on. I'd even watch "Muppet xmas carol"!

On Die Hard: Before Die Hard 2 (which was directed by a Finn like myself) came out, I had a VHS dub of it (with Greek subtitles or whatever) that I borrowed from a friend. At xmas, an uncle wanted to see it and I said "no point, it has such a bad picture" (from copying a copy of copy etc)... and he heard "it's such a bad picture", and we realized it only years later.
  • I’ll add two featuring Der Bingle:

Going My Way, 1944: Like its sequel The Bells of St. Mary’s, not technically a Christmas movie, but the final scene does take place on Christmas eve, and the whole movie has that Christmas feel of redemption through faith and hope. Plus it features Barry Fitzgerald in his most charmingly iconic role outside of The Quiet Man.

White Christmas, 1954: Bing, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney and Vera Ellen breaking into Irving Berlin song and dance numbers on trains, in nightclubs, and in the middle of Hollywood soundstage WWII battle scenes. What’s not to love?
  • Trains Plains and Automobiles
    With John Candy & Steve Martin

It's My Xmass Movie Ever !!

Gr.
    Clavan
    (Netherlands - Europe)
  • Trains Planes and Automobiles.... highly underrated. Forgot about that one!

And I didn't know Bells of St Marys was a sequel.... so now I'll have to check out Going My Way... thanks Brian!

• Totally forgot about Trains Planes and Automobiles.

And let's not forget the lost ending to It's a Wonderful Life:
    http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/snl-its-a-wonderful-life-lost-ending/81249131/

• Now wait a minute!!! Isn't Planes and Trains a film about Thanksgiving? Great movie, though.
    I might also add Jiminy Cricket's Christmas on this growing list.
  • Miracle on 34th Street (original version)
    Christmas in CT
    Scrooged!
    The Alistair Sims' version of The Christmas Carol
    Duck Soup (not Christmas, but I used to watch it every Christmas Eve)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!