Endorsements Souldier Fender Celestion Fender Custom Shop D'Addario D'Addario

The Campy Forum

Be polite and respectful. Don't sell stuff. No envy, no fear, no meanness.
New Lesson By Mail! **Formatting and organizing your practice Itinerary**
  • New Lesson By Mail!
    **Formatting and organizing your practice Itinerary - Warm-up Scales, Chord Melody, Arpeggios and having creative fun!**
    One hour of instruction demonstrating how I structure my own personal practice time. I run through a series of essential musical exercises, then move on to learning a songs melody, chords, chord melody, arpeggios with the goal of improvising and internalizing my growth, then finishing the practice session with some creative and fun improv.
    Intermediate/Advanced
    Sample Clip:

************************************ Easy Download: https://www.payloadz.com/cart/default.aspx ******************************************
  • I bought it yesterday. Another great lesson. After 25 years of playing guitar I finally started taking private lessons a couple of months ago. This means that I need to start organizing my practice time better and taking it more seriously. There are some great tips in here to help me do that. I was familiar with some of the ideas from previous Campy studies, but this lesson expands on those ideas as well as introducing some new material.
  • I am glad to finally join the Cult of Campilongo and have purchased 4 lessons in the past month or so. I thought this was a great lesson and a good reminder to cut the fat and get to the meat.

Jim - any tips on using a metronome to build up speed ala Jimmy Bryant? I seem to hit a wall at @70% of the Night Rider tempo.
  • Thanks for the insights and comments - I really appreciate it.

I know we have a "lesson suggestions" section that I read religiously but I felt the most asked question my students have, and my own question to my peers is "How do you practice?". I really hope this lesson helps.

telemji - I would continue playing the piece at a tempo that's doable- with a few attempts at a tempo that's slightly beyond your limit (75%?). Look at what's keeping you back and if it's a flaw or technical mishap then focus on a exercise that remedies that. But all that said, there are some Bryant pieces that are beyond most of us, playing the piece slower is okay as far as I'm concerned. 70% is pretty good!
  • Hi Jim,

This is a great lesson, very useful. One quick question - for the ascending/descending interval exercises, are you using strict alternate picking throughout? The ascending lines end on an upstroke, and I found it's more comfortable for me to do down-down on the first pair of the descending line, to get me back to alternate picking (downstroke on the lower notes, upstroke on the higher). This works for me, I'm just curious as to how you do it.

Best,
    *Neal
  • Hi Neal - I down up pick. Thanks for ordering the lesson - Jim

• Hi Jim, Wanting to make sure that I'm reading the ascending v. descending lines correctly using your tab system. In lesson one when you say ascending does that mean playing the notes 1, 2, 3, 4 vs descending 4, 3, 2, 1? Probably a silly question but I just want to make sure. Thanks, Dan

Never mind. I believe I've fingered it out!
  • Hi Vash-

Sorry things weren't clear for a minute- but the numbers beneath the fingerings indicate the picking pattern.It's pretty straight ahead... Feel free to post any other questions and thanks for ordering the lesson.

Have a great day- Jim

• Thanks. Momentary brain freeze :-)
  • Thanks for the cool lesson. I have one question about the arpeggio exercise and i hope i can word it in a way that makes sense. On the way back down you play each of the arpeggios in the same direction as the way up. ie. the high Gmaj7 is always played descending, F#min7b5 always played ascending, etc. Is there a specific reason for this that is beyond my understanding? It seems natural to me to reverse the direction so you play each arpeggio one way on the way up, (descending or ascending) and the opposite on the way down.
  • Rad- Are you referring to the Arpeggio Lesson?

Thanks!
  • Hey Jim, I'm referring to Arpeggios Exercise Progression in G at the beginning of the Formatting and Organizing Practice lesson
  • Hi Rad - Right-sorry, that was obvious, I've been getting over a flu and my brain was fuzzy...

I see your point and I encourage the application of your logical conclusion, but I prefer the sound and the challenge of string skipping. Do both! Good work brother...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!