Endorsements Souldier Fender Celestion Fender Custom Shop D'Addario D'Addario

The Campy Forum

Be polite and respectful. Don't sell stuff. No envy, no fear, no meanness.
Arpeggio Lesson
  • Has anyone done the Arpeggios as Exercises Lesson?
    I'm working through it now and I'm curious about picking patterns I should be using. I've always done alternate picking but it seems a little slow and chunky picking through the arpeggios this way.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to play them more smoothly/fluidly?

Thanks

Michael
  • Michael - Thanks for ordering the lesson.

Good question and it's an entire world in itself - but I usually alternate (down up) pick unless there are successive notes that fall in a chord shape -then I pick down strokes to go up in pitch, and upstrokes to go down in pitch.

Hope this helped- Jim
  • I have that lesson. It's a good one! When I first got it, I practiced it with alternate picking with adjustments for string changes, as Jim said. Lately I've been going back through those same shapes fingerstyle....I'm considering losing the pick permanently. But that's neither here nor there. The great thing about arpeggios is that they don't really care how you pick them or use them, they always sound musical and the knowledge never goes away. Try alternate picking, try sweep picking, try fingerstyle, it all sounds good.
    As far as chunky vs fluid. I fought that for a long time and still do to some degree. My advice would just be to practice slow and really make sure that a note rings through all the way up to the next note. Listen close and make sure you're not picking up and muting anything until the next note comes. Go slower than slow at first...when you go really slow between notes you have to focus on letting them ring through and it will force you to make corrections.
    Good luck!
  • Great tips guys. Thanks. Its already sounding better.
  • I have that lesson as well. I play the exercises using alternate picking. I suppose sweep picking might be more efficient. But I honestly never gave it much thought. That's the beauty of this lesson, it applies to many styles of music. And your picking technique can be adjusted accordingly.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!