Endorsements Souldier Fender Celestion Fender Custom Shop D'Addario D'Addario

The Campy Forum

Be polite and respectful. Don't sell stuff. No envy, no fear, no meanness.
Re-Tubing a Fender 65 Princeton Reverb Reissue FSR Amp
  • I have a three month old Princeton Reverb Reissue FSR with a 10" Jenson P10Q speaker and I would like to hear any recommendations on re-tubing the amp for better tone quality. The overall tone is very good but I think it could be even better with some quality tubes. The only negative comment I have on this amp is that it breaks up at 4.5 on the volume setting which I think is a little early. I would like to make the sound cleaner with less breakup at that volume if possible.
  • Hi,

I have always bought tubes in sets from thetubestore.com. You can search by amp. I'm not sure what tubes to suggest for less breakup, but I wonder if that would be more about the speaker.

I use the cheapest package from the tubestore and I have an eminence lil' buddy speaker in mine. It doesn't break up until 8. But I also play with a very light touch. I like amps to stay clean and if I want dirt I add a pedal.
  • How hot are your pickups? The '65 RI I had was pretty clean even when dimed -- but I had low-output pickups.
  • The way I would approach it is to find a good amp tech in your area and talk to him about the sound you're looking for and see what he suggests.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!