Endorsements Souldier Fender Celestion Fender Custom Shop D'Addario D'Addario

The Campy Forum

Be polite and respectful. Don't sell stuff. No envy, no fear, no meanness.
Neck-bending vibrato on quarter-sawn Maple necks
  • Hi Campy Forum People,

I'm just starting out here. I wanted to start a thread / ask a question about neck bending vibrato. I find this kind of vibrato to be beautiful sounding and, for me, it's one of the principal reasons to own a guitar with an all maple neck -- as this kind of vibrato seems to resonate and sustain most on an all maple board.

My question for those of you out there who might have the answer, or might have experience is: Does quarter-sawn maple work as well as regular flat-sawn maple for this kind of vibrato? I know quarter-sawn is said to be stiffer. If it was too stiff i can see this hindering the bending. I know the campy CS tele has quarter sawn. Has anyone played a quarter sawn maple neck and done this kind of vibrato?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences if you have them.
  • Welcome to the forum!

I can't help out -sorry...

Happy new year! -Jim
  • Hi Jim and everyone reading!
    I wanted to open a new topic, but it seems to me that it might be appropriate to ask here:

I just wanted to know some random toughts on maple neck vs rosewood "neck" (RSW fratboard actually).
    Jim, you seem to prefer maple necks on your Telecasters: if it's correct what leads you toward this choice and... which remarkable differences do you find?

One of the reasons I ask is also because on my strats I tend to prefer rosewood, but on the Telecaster I really like maple :-) is it Odd?

Cheers!

• I have two electric guitars. One with maple neck and one with rosewood. Very different guitars so I can't compare the sounds but for whatever reason I find the maple necked guitar easier to see than the rosewood necked guitar. Black dots on white vs white dots on dark i guess.

Personally I wouldn't get too hung up about this.

Warren
  • rosewood fretboards absorb the oils from your fingers, and needs to be oiled occasionally (with any number of different oils/products) so it does not dry out, and even split in some extreme cases. I kind of like the feel of it.

i also like maple boards. maple fretboards are not like that. i think they have some degree of finish on them like the rest of your guitar (be it poly, nitro, etc) and you would clean/polish a maple fretboard (if you choose to) with a similar product or substance as you would use on the rest of the guitar.

Jim and Luca have completely worn through the finish on their maple fretboards and I imagine have not had them re-finished, so in those scenarios, I honestly don't have much experience, or none at all, but a maple board is a maple board. You wouldnt use a guitar cleaner on a guitar with no finish though (unless it was rosewood oil on rosewood fretboard, acoustic bridge, etc...)

the maple is said to sound a little "snappier" or "brighter," or at least have such an influence on tone. I essentially believe this to be true, and there are videos on utube comparing P-basses that are identicle in every way other than a maple vs. rosewood fret board. they do sound, to me, noticably different. both still quite good, and of course similar, but remember the biggest thing is the *player always, of course.

also they are both hardwoods but I imagine the maple fretboard is heavier in weight than the rosewood. it's a small slab, so not such a game changer, but the weights are not identical, i'd guess. probably close though, to stay within spec of the Fender guitar (either/or spectrum...)

with that said, I don't know anything about quarter-sawn necks! or any other cuts of wood! if it's in one piece and the tuners work, you are in good shape!
  • i will also add it is very unlikely Jim made a conscious decision about his fret board specifically at any point. back in the 50s the tele only came with a maple fretboard. one day Jim had one in his hands, and obviously liked it. he plays other guitars, acoustics and strats, a Gibson here and there...so he's got both the maple and rw boards covered. there are other fretboards too, like ebony wood and different types of synthetics. I like RW and maple but a good luthier can use anyhing and make it play great!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!