Endorsements Souldier Fender Celestion Fender Custom Shop D'Addario D'Addario

The Campy Forum

Be polite and respectful. Don't sell stuff. No envy, no fear, no meanness.
Turntables & Stereo Setups
  • Anyone else love vinyl? What is your stereo setup? I'm looking to upgrade mine soon.

Jim, can you talk about yours? Is that an older Sony turntable you have? And whats the pillow you have under it for?
  • Dual CS 5000 turntable with a DJ pillow to stabilize it.
    McIntosh C26 Pre-Amp
    Dynaco Dynakit Stereo 70 Tube Amplifier
    Klipsch Heresy walnut speakers
  • I'll jump in here to keep this good thread going...

Dual 1229
    Dynakit: ST-70 amp, PAS 3 preamp, FM-1 Tuner
    Acoustic Research AR 5 speakers

And an orange vinyl record.
  • Thank you US!
    Attachments
    tu.JPG 33K
  • that things beautiful
  • Pro-Ject Debut III
    Yamaha RX-V2092 receiver
    Phase speakers
  • Awesome rig. I am planning on buying a second hand Lenco L75.
  • I'm heading to a used record shop in a bit. They're having a sale on their used turntables. Hopefully something good will be there!
  • Here are a few of my favorites:

Pioneer PL-41, from the late 60s. Beautiful in its simplicity, totally manual belt drive, massive wood plinth. Grado Black cartridge. Featured album: The Little Willies “The Little Willies”

Technics SL-1200, from the mid 70s. Precursor to the wildly successful SL-1200 Mk2. Totally manual direct drive with pitch control. Grado Blue cartridge. Featured album: The Little Willies “For The Good Times”

Technics SL-1210 Mk2. The all-black version of the SL-1200 Mk2, which was in continuous production from the late 70s up until just a few years ago. Totally manual direct drive with pitch control. Grado Silver cartridge. Featured album: Jim Campilongo “Orange”

Here’s the SL-1210 Mk2 at home in the main system. Two McIntosh MC2300 amps, McIntosh C32 preamp, Tascam CD 160 disc player, and one of two bi-amped Bozak B-310 Concert Grands from 1965.

Spent Black Friday yesterday putting up the Christmas albums. Bring on Yoshi’s!

Attachments
    11.30.13 technics 1200.jpg 33K
    11.30.13 pioneer PL41.jpg 34K
    11.30.13 technics 1210 II.jpg 26K
    11.30.13 mac bozak.jpg 36K
  • Brian - Thanks so much for the post. Those Bazok B-310's look like beasts!
  • BrianSSF, wouldn't a Sonos be much simpler??? :)

It's unfortunately a rare thing these days to see LARGE speakers in someone's home. I dig it. And you have to respect a power amp that needs handles on it!

I'm just imagining what Blues For Roy sounds like through that system.
  • USMercury, the Mac MC 2300 amps weigh 128 lbs each. This model was the personal favorite of Jerry Garcia. The Concert Grands weigh 225 lbs each. They were personal favorites of Jack Webb.

I figure a set-up endorsed by both Dragnet and the Dead can’t be all bad.

The system sounds great at low volume, but it really comes alive when turned up. Blues for Roy cranked loud sounds like Thor lumbering by for a nighttime stroll.
  • Does anybody use a Lenco L-75?
  • ST-70 amp, PAS 3 preamp
    Rega P3 turntable
    Rega Apollo CD player
    Music Hall DAC 25.3
    Spendor S3/5se speakers

I used to have 2 JBL L36 speakers at the end of this, but they were way too big for the place I'm living in now. The Spendors, though small, sound fantastic, in a very different way compared to the JBLs.

Attachments
    stereo2_zps01eb42bb.jpg 48K
  • purdy!
    love the Dyna Kit too!
  • Speaking of Dyna's...

I'm sure some folks could think of better things to put on a fireplace mantle but I don't know, there's a lot of feng shui going on here.
    Attachments
    Stereo.jpg 42K
  • Jim, my wife and I enjoyed meeting you last night at the Falcon. It was fun chatting about vinyl records for a few minutes. No luck at the record show today finding much in the way of old Ernest Ranglin LP's but I was able to walk out with a new, 180 gram reissue of this album...

Brian

imageimageimageimage
    Attachments
    photo-3.jpg 66K
  • Whoops, didn't mean to post it 4 times but what the hell, it's a cool album!
  • Garrard Zero 100 with a Nagaoka MP11 Boron cartridge.

bit of an oddity that i have recently acquired.

Attachments
    IMAG0015.jpg 34K
    IMAG0015.jpg 34K
  • thanks jim,

apparently they are a bit hit and miss. i have done some minor maintenance on it and spent a good couple of hours getting the needle set up correctly and it sounds really nice. i think they need a lot of love though! but it is kinda nice to have something that you can work on yourself, these old players are more like clocks than modern stereos!

chris
  • I'm sorry to revive this old discussion, but i am looking into old 78 rpm records lately. Is there somebody on this forum into that?
    The only thing pitty about 78's is the different stylus for your turntable. Otherwise there a lot of interesting records to be found.
    Attachments
    record_types_labels2.gif 54K

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!