Endorsements Souldier Fender Celestion Fender Custom Shop D'Addario D'Addario

The Campy Forum

Be polite and respectful. Don't sell stuff. No envy, no fear, no meanness.
Any Lesson Recomendation ?
  • Amigos de Mundo Campilongo,

I bought, learn, and enjoy 3 lessons:
    1) Chet Song: Wonderfull Lesson. Great musical experience.
    2) American Hips: Great Riff Great Song, Great Lesson.
    3) F Jazz Blues: A lot of new concepts....still fighting with it...

Now i am looking for a new lesson.....any recomendation for a Chilean Campilongo fan guitar player (strat + princeton)?

Sorry for my poor English
    Saludos desde Chile
  • Maybe it's time for a solo piece "WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR LESSON' might be nice and "OVER THE RAINBOW" is very doable too...
    If you want to try some basic finger picking "TRAVIS AND BEYOND" is good and you'll learn the Beatles "Julia"...

Hopefully you might get some other opinions too!

Thanks for asking and thanks for ordering the lessons....

and your English is fine!
  • Hi there.

I like "Playing The Blues - Nailing The Changes" and I also really liked "Country Lead in G". They're good for lead work.
  • I second taking a solo piece. When You Wish Upon A Star is good, but Tennessee Waltz is very fun too!
  • I am just finishing up the F Jazz lesson myself. I have now completed over 20 lessons by mail and can honestly say that F Jazz was one of the most challenging and most satisfying. I don’t think that I would be having such good results, however, if I hadn’t already completed B flat blues. I highly recommend the B flat blues lessons as pre-cursor to the F Jazz. In B flat blues Jim very clearly outlines each chord with a corresponding triad. The triad approach is the first part of the lesson and a step that should not be skipped. Once I had the triads down, learning the solo over the changes was relatively easy. If nothing else, the notes “made more sense” because I had the triads completely ingrained in my head. That brings me to the F Jazz lesson. When I first started the F Jazz lesson I felt a little overwhelmed. It is more advanced than just about anything that I have ever attempted. To ease myself into the lesson, I first started to play over the changes using the triad approach from the B flat lesson. This did the trick. Everything clicked after that. In addition to being a nice segue into the F Jazz lesson, the B flat blues lesson will really open up your blues playing and ability to create beautiful harmonic lines in general. I couldn’t recommend B flat blues one more highly.

If you are looking for something a little easier to digest and still very applicable, I have to agree that Country Lead in G is the way to go. I am getting tons of mileage out of these tightly and cleverly constructed phrases. Country Lead in G is loaded with candy and a blast to dig into.

If you are new to fingerpicking and want to learn, Travis basics is a home run. Less than a year ago I didn’t have the foggiest idea how to keep a decent finger picking pattern going. After spending several hours with the Travis lesson and repeatedly going over Jim’s basic patterns and exercises I have developed a good amount of speed and fluency when fingerpicking. WAY cooler than shredding if you ask me.

Finally, Over the Rainbow is an outstanding lesson especially if you would like to learn some new chords and add some color to your musical pallet. This one kept me busy for a long time as I was brand new to anything remotely “jazzy.” Nearly a year after learning this tune, I still play it on a nearly daily basis. It is my warm up song and a tune that always forces me to concentrate. An excellent learning experience and really fantastic song to have in your repertoire.

Best of luck deciding on your next lesson and happy playing!
  • Excellent review on the lessons CJG. Very nicely done. Myself...I'm at the "I've taken one lesson" stage. I chose Chet Song as my first and I am ready to move to something new as well. I decided to go for one Jim lesson a month. Thanks for the heads up on the lessons and the breakdown with regard to where you are individually. I found Chet Song to be something I could master in about a week. Of course the possibilioties are endless! I am looking forward to digging into my next one in April...I might do "Stardust" based on this thread from NealT...(maybe you'll find some inspiration in this thread, I know I have :)
    Andrew

--------------------------------------------------------

My Journey and Transformation Through Four Years of Lessons.

There is a passage in the TAO TE CHING that reads, “Thirty spokes converge on a single hub, but it is in the space where there is nothing that the usefulness of the cart lies.” That is the value and joy I find in Jims’ lessons.

I wrote to Jim four years ago inquiring about lessons. I thought the lessons were for professional musicians only. I told Jim I was by no means an experienced player but I loved the guitar, his music and Stella (Lipton Tea) was one of my favorites compositions of his. With very few words he reassured me that I would be fine and I started my first lesson. My children are grown and I’m in my 50’s and have plenty of time to practice. I was committed – ready for serious woodshedding. I wanted to learn about music, different styles, technique and understanding how to play over changes. I did not want to just memorize finger positions.

I mention the TOE TE CHING passage because it is in the space between the song instructions that I have learned so much. Here are some examples from Jim: “you always want to play with your fingertips, you want all your fingers close to the fret board so they don’t have far to travel, chords are just thirds stacked on top of each other, cords do not have to have a root note, the same cord can have many names, you want to use all available fingers when bending.” and the relationship between two notes: a major 3rd, 6th, diminished 5th. I never thought of two notes in the context of a chord before!

In my opinion the “B flat blues concept lesson”, “All Blues” and the newest “Playing the Blues” are three great examples of the point I am trying to make. In my opinion those three lessons contain enough instruction and insight that your could spend several years on those three alone.

I emailed Jim once when ordering a new lesson and wrote that I had a problem playing fast and he recommended the arpeggio lesson. Like most of what Jim does he presented a complicated concept and idea simply. He unlocked all the arpeggio doors with one sheet of paper. That lesson became one of the most profound I have ever taken. I could see the cord in single notes and hear the relationship between two notes and my speed really increased. All the instructions about “upcoming 3rds and Flat fives and sharp 9’s “ I finally understood. I followed that lesson with “Sugerfoot Rag”, “Panhandle Rag”, “Four Wheel Drive” and my fingering ability took me to a place I never imagined. I can now play “Twister”. Playing twister is so rewarding- its fun, funky, country, filled with tons of licks and you can play it as fast as you want! As some one once said “It’s like changing the fan belt with the motor running.” All the lessons I just mentioned made me want to grow more as a player.

I tackled “Over the Rainbow” and I never thought I would get it down. Once I did it opened the floodgates to “All The Things You Are”, “ My Funny Valentine”, “Beautiful Dreamer”, “When You Wish Upon a Star” and the new “Stardust”. Jims’ explanation and example of playing over the changes in the Stardust lesson is extraordinary in its insight. Not only does he instruct on how to play the cord tones over changer he introduces another way of thinking about playing over changes.

How could I possibly find a local teacher that could give all of this and a “Steel Guitar” lesson like Jim? - Or the fingering lessons of “Chets Song”, “Travis” and “Working Man Blues”. If you like string bending lessons my opinion “Crazy” is one of the best. A lesson that has a little of everything: different cord inversions, steel guitar voicings, double stops, big slides and string bending is “Wishful Thinking”. “To Far Gone “ has some tone knob instruction that very few lessons do. I have grown so much as a guitar player from Jims’ lessons and in these five years and I have never had to email him once with a question. All the answers are in the lessons. You may have to listen a lot but they are all there. Very Zen like…. as Jim often says in the lessons, “ keep it simple…just play the melody like Louie Armstrong.” I hope some of what I wrote is helpful to everyone taking lessons or thinking about it.

As for me, four years of lessons have given me the ability to make my guitar sound bluesy, steel guitar, country or Jazz like. I can make it fit my mood or the New England weather I live in. I can put a rhythm track in my boomerang and play over changes. I can hear Jim Hall or Bill Frisell play a cluster cord and good old Stella (Lipton Tea) is still my favorite. Now I understand all those two note chords in Stella are minor 2nds, major 2nds, major 3rds and prefect 4ths. All of which was way beyond my comprehension four years ago. I always look forward to the new lessons and practicing every day. Over the last four years, in a very quiet way, Jim has made a great impact on my life. From a grateful student to a great teacher- thank you.

NealT
  • Wow! Thanks for the recomendations amigos.
    My history: 15 years playing guitar and for a lot of time y feel STUCK. I didnt know how to improve my skill and lear new styles and material. Internet is a trap: a lot of informaction but most of this information is noise.
    Finally y found the signal: JCampilongo music and lessons. Theres nothing like this in Internet and the price is OK.
    Thank you amigos......and sorry for my English
    Juan Ignacio
    P.D.:
    Next lessons: TRAVIS AND BEYOND and OVER THE RAINBOW
  • you guys are beautiful... thank you so much.
  • Andrew, thanks for your post. You actually cited to my favorite posts (NealT) on the forum and one from which I have drawn a lot of inspiration. Also, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your first lesson. Once I finished my first lesson I was instantly addicted. Each new lesson opens up a whole new world of musical creativity and freedom. And, they are a lot of fun. Let me know what lesson you end up with next and let me know how it goes. I haven’t tried Chet Song yet, but think that it will be my next download. Thanks for the head’s up on that one!

Juan, glad to hear that you are continuing with the lessons. I hope that you enjoy your next lessons. I had great results with the Travis lesson and am confident that you will as well. Just remember to go slowly with the patterns and gradually build up speed. It took me a few weeks to play any of it fluidly and several months to play with confidence and speed. Once you have it though, you will have it for life. Happy Picking! Just curious, how are you doing with the F Jazz lessons? F Jazz is very challenging but absolutely worth putting the time into. Best of luck on all your lessons.
  • CJG,
    I decided that F jazz lesson have to wait a few month.
    OVER THE RAINBOW was a great recomendation for the professor Campilongo. My first Chord Melody experience!
    I have great results with Travis Lesson, now I am working in the saint grial: MR. SANDMAN with very good results.
    I am very inspired, I found a new musical energy (for a lot of months I was stuck looking for guitar pro tabs thats remove my mind without results)
    There is one point: This tab notation y so much better than the "classic tab". It permits to estructure the music in a kind of geometric/intuitive way......
    SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH

SALUDOS PARA TODO!
    JUAN IGNACIO GONZÁLEZ V.

• Juan,Your English is fine! Congratulations on completing your first chord melody. Very very cool. How is Mr. Sandman coming along? I want to try that one myself. As a side note, don’t give up on F Jazz Blues. It is a great lesson that should be worked on in small pieces. Just go at it one note at a time and stop when you hit a wall. Don’t try to learn it all at once and don’t be afraid to slow it down. Eventually it all comes together and is a great feeling. That being said, you may want to check out B flat blues before digging back into F Jazz. I felt that the B flat blues lesson “opened up” my playing and prepared me for the F Jazz lesson. Also, the B flat lesson is initially easier to jump into. Wishing you the best of luck on any/all of the lessons. Let me know what else you pick up and how it goes. I also agree that Jim's unique notation makes more sense than "classic tab." The geometric patterns really "stick in your head" and make more sense than looking at tablature.
  • CJC, I never give up!! F jazz Blues are just waiting.......
    Mr Sandman is a intense experience. I recomend to do "Travis Lesson First".
    Mr Sandman is very challengin in a lot of ways: Alternating Bass (complex travis paterns), new chords, right hand mutting, soloing, and HAND ENLARGEMENT (you will understand). Mr. Sandman ROCKS!!!!
    Saludos
    jig
  • Mr. Sandman. Dammit. I was all set with Stardust because my wife loves that song. But my little girls love "Bring me a dream!" I guess I gots to get both tunes.
  • Juan, thanks for the review of Mr. Sandman lesson. I cannot wait to pick up this one. It sounds challenging and a lot of fun. I especially like the idea of some more advance Travis patterns. I am a big fan of the Travis basics lesson and have been looking to expand on this style of playing. I am currently working on Chet Song (which you may like as well) Thanks again to Andy for the inspiration to get this one! The lesson is proving to be a blast to play and has really opened up some cool improvisation ideas for me. I highly recommend Chet Song for anyone who wants to learn to play some great lines using the Major Scale. I think that we all learn the major scale at some point but few of us really know what to do with it in an improvisational context. The Chet Song lesson teaches some really great little tricks (like how to use 3rds and 6ths) to immediately create beautiful and catchy sounding melodies using the good ol major scale. And learning the 3rds and 6ths is a snap if you follow the lesson. Within a few minutes of “following the instructions” I was able to start jammin’ up a storm in B flat major. It was a bit cathartic to create some wonderful melodies outside of a blues context. I am looking forward to completing the rest of the lesson and will hopefully get to it this week. Maybe Mr. Sandman is next? Juan let me know your progress on that one.

Andy, did you pick up Stardust and/or Sandman? I’d like to hear what you have to say on both of those as well. I was going to make a few more recommendations for you but think that you may have your hands full (literally!) for awhile. Happy playing
  • Dang...I too have been struggling with the question of which lesson to tackle next, and I'm not sure this thread is helping! I want to do them all!

Thanks for the insight you guys have all shared here, and thanks to Jim for sharing the wealth of insight and inspiration in the lessons!
  • CJG,
    In the world of the Campy Lessons I am a Poligam.
    Today I am working on:
    1.- Mr. Sandman: very very very challengin: the big difficult of this lesson is to mentally divide the work of the right hand in alternating bass and melody. This issue is especially complicated for guitarist. Then comes chords, right hand mutting, the solos, etc. After you aproove this lesson you are a different kinf of guitarist.
    2.- All Blues: I am not really interesting in the Berkley obsesive integrist and egomaniac aproach of the jazz. I am interesting in a intuitive, open mind and "heart touching" aproach. Miles too. Jim too (I think). If you agree with me, PLEASE TRY ALL BLUES.
    SALUDOS DESDE CHILE, SORRY FOR THE ENGLISH.
    JUAN IGNACIO
  • Juan,
    How is Mr. Sandman coming along? Thanks to YOU, I picked up Mr. Sandman last week and have been busy learning some new chords, new fingerpicking patterns, and stretching out my hands…and my brain. You are RIGHT, this lesson takes you to a new level of playing! I am going to learn this song one small section at a time and just keep adding to it week by week. So far I am really pleased at the way the song is presented. And, very glad that Jim slows down these complex passages in a way that make them immediately understandable and easily digestible. It may be awhile before I get the whole song down, but I think this one is really going to be worth the effort. Thanks again for turning me on to this great lesson!

Elreclusa, did you pick a new lesson to work on? Just curious, which lessons have you taken and what did you have in mind? Maybe I can offer some insight into what to look for next.
  • CJG- So far, I've done "Pepper" and "Cat Under A Car", both were great! I've also done every lesson I've found of Jim's in guitar mags, including the "Orange Guitar" currently running in Premier Guitar. As for what I have in mind next...that's the hard part! I've been enjoying learning tunes, and I was kinda thinking about tackling something a little "hotter" than I usually do, like "Twister". Then again, I love Jim's "noir"ish stuff, so maybe "Mr & Ms Mouse"- in terms of feel, it's a little closer to what I do on my own, but so far I really like how the lessons I've done so far take a more familiarish starting point, but open up new ways of thinking about where to go from there. Of course, more conceptual stuff may be good too, as opposed to straight ahead tunes- I have a fair bit of theory knowledge, but it's rusty, so maybe some insight into playing over changes or voice leading would be good?

Eventually, I hope to work my way through all of them! Sadly, my available free time and budget at present mean choosing lessons I'll get the most mileage out of would be wise...
  • I think Mr. Sandman is no a "one day lesson". Mr. Sandman is a lesson that you have to work day by day. All days you have to make a goal......

After finish Mr. Sandman I am thinking to try Awful Pretty, Pretty Awful............ too ambitious???? please your opinions...

SALUDOS desde Valdivia, Chile

P.D.: a photo of Valdvia
    http://www.ablturismo.com/media/users/2/108858/images/public/14089/normal_chile_valdivia_2523_0.jpg?v=1298055648541

• Juan, I have not yet tried Awful Pretty, Pretty Awful, but I love that song and its on my list of lessons that I want to try! Juan, I admire your passion regarding these lessons. It is going to take me awhile to finish Mr. Sandman. After that I will probably go for a “quicker lesson” and then probably something more complicated. I like to mix it up so that I always have something very challenging to work on long term AND something easier and quicker to digest. If you are looking for a technical lesson and something that will improve speed and your ear, I recommend Arpeggios as Exercises. This is a lesson that you may work on for months at a time and keep going back to over and over. If you are looking for a really cool and relatively easy tune to work on, however, you may like Panhandle Rag. You can learn the “basic” version of Panhandle Rag in one evening. Then, you can spend weeks and months learning all of the intermediate and advanced concepts. I highly recommend Panhandle Rag because it is easy to jump into and then provides countless hours of advanced improvisation ideas. It’s a lesson that works for players of all levels and a lesson that you can keep going back to for inspiration and additional challenges. Let me know what you go with and if you pick up Awful Pretty, Pretty Awful. I would like to hear a review of that one myself. Happy playing!
  • Elreclusa,
    I think that you would really benefit from the voice leading lesson! It was one of my first and a lesson that really helped me start "getting into Jazz." The voice leading lesson focuses on essential chord forms that everyone should have under their belt and enough basic theory to inspire countless hours of playing. None of it is overwhelming either. I am still very shaky when it comes to music theory but getting better in small increments. The voice leading lesson really opened me up and I could not reccommend it more highly. Of course all of the tunes that I have tried have been great as well. And Twister is one of my favorite lessons. I wrote a review of it on another post and will re-post if you like. Let me know what you pick up and if you have any further questions. I will be happy to share any/all of my lesson by mail experiences with you and anyone else on the forum.
  • Thanks CJ - I really appreciate you for all you write and contribute here on the forum. You say it better then I can and I hope you continue to be "left hand man" ... but I might add that "Awful Pretty... " is, in my opinion - a bit "easier" then "Sandman".
  • Thanks for the clarification on that one Jim! I haven't picked up Awful Pretty yet but am hoping to get to that one in a few weeks. Mr. Sandman is still keeping me very busy! Perhaps Awful Pretty will be a good follow up piece for me as well.

Juan, very curious to hear what you decide on next. I picked up Mr. Sandman based on your reccomendation and very happy with the lesson so far. Now you have me looking at All Blues as well:)
  • HEY CJG,
    I finally decided for Awful Pretty...... I have to say one thing: Its a great lesson of a great song, I am a kind of obsessed with that song (my wife can´t understand why a wake up at 6 AM in the last 2 days). For me the most difficult part are the first two diagrams (hand enlargment again.....Did Profesor Campilongo has XXL hands?) Highly recomended.
    SPOILER ALERT: if you buy Awful Pretty you gone learn the classical riff of the woody woodpecker theme.......
    SALUDOS
    Juan Ignacio

P.D.: ¿Did you try "All Blues"?
  • Hi Juan,
    I haven't gotten to All Blues yet. Still working on Mr. Sandman and have been going back to some of my older lessons. Of note, I have been spending a lot of time on Prettiest Girl in New York. Prettiest Girl is one of my favorite Jim tunes and a great lesson as well. How about you? How is Awful Pretty going for you? Is your wife able to hum all of the parts yet? I too wake up an hour early when I have a new lesson to get in a quick practice before I go to work!
  • Thanks CJG! I still haven't decided, which is actually ok as I won't have time to sit down and start a lesson 'til next week, but I'm leaning toward voice leading...at least first, maybe another soon after.
  • I enjoyed the Country Lead in G lesson.
  • Hey CJG, How is Prettist Girl in NY going for you?? I am really interested in your opinion becasuse Prettiest Girl in possible next lesson.

I finally go very well with Awful Pretty, Pretty, Awful. I recommended it!! Now I have a new song in my repertory.
    I am doing now TWISTER: Yesterday I start it, and in an hour I have the first part of the song (all the song before the solo). Go gor It. Constructive critic: Would be nice that all lessons includ a backctrack track for practice........

Sorry for my English! (monday is no my best English speak day)

Saludos
    JIG
  • Hi Juan,
    Sounds like you are making GREAT progress with your lessons!!!! Twister is a lot of fun, right? The solo has a couple of tricky parts, but is very doable with enough practice.

Prettiest Girl in New York is a PERFECT lesson. There is one little "trick" at the beginning of the tune that Jim goes over during the lesson. After that, its not too difficult to get through the basic ideas of the song. There is a descending riff is slightly elusive if you try to play it too fast. But once you get it, it feels absolutely heavenly to play. And the solo is a lot of fun on this tune as well. Its melodic and it jangles and very relaxing to play. This could be one of my favorite Jim songs and definitely one of my favorite lessons. AND, the lesson comes with a track of JUST the guitar parts so its really easy to practice along to it. And, this is a killer to song to be able to pull out when you are hanging out with your friends. This one turns heads and is fun to play!
  • Definitivamente Prettiest Girl is my next lesson.
    Gracias CJG!!

JIG
  • I think I'm shooting for Country in G next....I've gotten Twister down. I've been really having fun incorporating little bits of some of the other lessons in each new one. Adding to my vocabulary, if you will.

What has made this whole process best for me and my woodshedding has been getting into a Boomerang.

Juan, you might think about getting into something like that as well. It not only makes it more interesting to back yourself up, but it helps with timing! :)

Just a thought.
    Droo
  • So it was hard deciding, but I just picked up "Mr. and Ms. Mouse". Guess I must feel the need to get the "noir" out of my system before moving on! I'll let you guys know how it goes.

It bears repeating that it's pretty damn amazing that not only does Jim offer these lessons, but that this forum is hear to talk about 'em. Thanks everybody!
  • Have anyone try Maceo?
  • Hey Elreclusa,
    How is Mr. and Mrs. Mouse going? I love that tune and hope to eventually pick it up. Lots of cool descending riffs and all those wild bends - should be a cool lesson. And what guitar are you playing it on?

Juan, hows it going over there? Haven't heard from you in a while. Did you get Awful Pretty down? I have been spending a lot of time on Prettiest Girl in New York as well as Panhandle Rag. Panhandle Rag, by the way, is a really great lesson. Its fairly easy to get the basic version down...and then Jim throws all kinds of cool variations in there - some amazing steel guitar sounding tricks in this one. This is another lesson that I would highly recommend!!!!
  • It's going well, thanks! I'm only mostly through the "A" section so far, and still tripping over my fingers just a little when trying to play it up to speed. I've been itching to spend some more time with it, but I got an interesting writing gig offer (I freelance) about the same time I got the lesson- it's been fun, but I've been run ragged and haven't had a lot of free time since! At any rate, it's been a LOT of fun so far, and as weird as it may sound, so far, the thing that's really got my wheels turning about it is the phrasing. It's funny (and awesome) how the way Jim sometimes sort of "chunks" the explanations of each bit may not have occurred to me if I was trying to pick it apart on my own. It's really nice to sort of see phrasing from someone else's perspective, and quite helpful as well. Can't wait to dig deeper into the lesson!

For the most part, I've been playing a modded Baja Tele. A car accident a while back has caused me some issues, and some necks fatigue my left hand really quickly. The Baja, though- the neck felt a little thick for my taste at first, but the relative "fullness" of it has really allowed me to keep playing without it completely killing me. Of course, it's a toploader now and I'm using .009s, which helps too. ;)
  • Thanks for the update Elreclusa. Sounds like Mr. & Mrs. Mouse is taking you to some cool musical places! I totally know what you mean regarding the way that Jim "chunks" explanations in a very logical and USEFUL manner. I think that its one of Jim's gifts as a teacher: to be able explain and demonstrate very complex material in a way that is not overwhelming and easy to digest. I also find that Jim's unique musical notation resonates well with the way in which I learn best. I find it more logical than tablature and definitely find that my memory is better after looking at the boxes while I am learning the tunes. As far as speed goes, I usually play as slowly as possible until I can play each passage of the song with relatively few mistakes. Then I will very gradually start increasing tempo. I would rather learn the correct way without mistakes and sacrifice some speed ESPECIALLY when I am first learning these tunes. In my opinion, speed will come in due time. The songs that I tried to learn too fast right off the bat sufferred as a result. That being said, I am very curious to hear more about your experience playing the tune. I can't wait to get to this one myself but have a few other lessons that I am still working on. Mr. & Mrs. Mouse sounds to me like one of the more challenging ones especially with all those wild bends and cool descending riffs. I can't wait to get to it!

Sorry to hear about your car accident tho. Hope that you have recovered and you are not any pain. What kind of injury if you don't mind me asking? I have a chronic upper back problem from childhood that I fight with daily and have had to make adjustments in my practicing as a result. Also curious, how are the .009s working out for you and what were you playing previously? My main gtr is a Strat and I have had .011s on it for a long time now. I am thinking about switching to a lighter gauge.

Best of luck with your writing gig and with the rest of Mr.& Mrs. Mouse!
  • CJG- I totally agree. Jim's alternate take on tab is just plain easier to work with. I wish everyone did it that way. While it may seem counter-intuitive, inasmuch as regular tab kinda represents the "lay of the land" of the neck as viewed from playing position, Jim's 90-degree twist on it, combined with the way he's arranged phrases, is just a LOT easier to get a handle on, and all the information you need is presented in a compact, efficient manner that just plain WORKS. Thanks Jim for building a better mousetrap!

I try to start slow as well, and for the most part do well with it. Where I have trouble occasionally is when my brain and fingers don't want to agree on processing things as phrases. It's hard to explain, but sometimes what makes sense as a "chunk" fingering-wise doesn't quite jive with what my brain perceives as a musical "chunk". I like the way Jim chunks the fingerings, though- while it's not always exactly how I would expect to separate each bit, it always makes sense, and I really enjoy how that leads me to think differently about phrasing and how one thing leads to another. I'm probably not articulating it very well, but one of the beautiful things about the lessons I've taken of Jim's so far is that they're really teaching me a lot about the difference in logic between what the fingers are doing and what the ear and brain perceive, if that makes sense. Again- I'm sure I'm not articulating it well, but it's pretty cool!

As for my car accident, I don't mind talking about it. Basically, I was t-boned in an intersection by a 60-year old woman who was texting and driving, speeding, and ran a red light. Fortunately, everyone in my car was wearing a seat belt, or it would have been much, much worse. Most of my injuries are the sort of "whiplash" hyperextension injuries common to, well, getting hit by a car. It happened really fast, so I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but I immediately had pretty bad wrist and forearm pain- I think my arm may have actually hit my head pretty hard, or been caught between my head and the door. To make matters worse, my day job is in screenprinting, so I have to be careful to avoid repetitive-motion stress already. The injury to one arm made me shift some stress to the other at work, which ended up compounding my problems when the other wrist became overly stressed. Ugh. After an awful lot of physical therapy, I'm quite a bit better, but still nowhere near problem-free. Fortunately, I learned some pretty crafty stretches in therapy that help a lot, though, and as long as I am diligent about stretching and warming up before work or playing, it's not so bad. The accident caused me some back and spine alignment issues as well, but as long as I get chiropractic care often enough, it's manageable. Sorry to hear about your back issues- there's something especially disheartening when these things interfere with the things we most love to do.

Honestly, I kind of dig the .009s now that I'm used to 'em! It seems like I have to tweak the setup of the Baja a little more often since the switch, but it may just be me getting used to them. I'd been using mostly .010s before, and I have to say the .009s are substantially easier on my left hand, and I haven't noticed any negative tonal effects at all. When I was younger, I used nothing thinner than .011s. I loved the sound of a Tele with .011s, but had a bit of a hard time getting a balanced sound with them. In retrospect, in a way it makes more sense to me that thicker strings would maybe have more benefit on an acoustic, but on an electric, the pickups do most of the work, and there are advantages to .009s and a good setup. I find I can keep the action a bit on the high side, which I like, but the playability is easier. About the only negative I've found is that .009s and slide don't seem to work for me- but then again, it could just be the Baja I have isn't the most agreeable to slide guitar in the first place. It's always been a bit "snappy" compared to my other guitars.

Wow! That was a lot of blabbing, and sorry if I've rambled too far off-topic. Looks like I'll get some quality time with the lesson this weekend finally, and by then, I'm gonna need it!

• Hi CJG.

a lot of time and varius lesson has pass.
    I do Prettiest Girl and I Love it. I only have one comment. For me is eassier to do downpick-uppick-uppick in the main riff. Jim says in the lesson that is down-down-up. What do you think?
    Then I do Twister.......Great!, then B Flat Blues, then MACEO (a great lesson to "rest" and focus in the expression), then Playing the Blues and Playing the changes.
    Any recomendation??????

Saludos desde la Patagonia.
    Juan

P.D.: I am looking for a Tele. Any recomendation?

• "...I do Prettiest Girl and I Love it. I only have one comment. For me is eassier to do downpick-uppick-uppick in the main riff. Jim says in the lesson that is down-down-up. What do you think?..."

If you can play it well, then all is fine!

".Great!, then B Flat Blues, then MACEO (a great lesson to "rest" and focus in the expression), then Playing the Blues and Playing the changes.
    Any recomendation?..."

F Jazz Blues, or All Blues, or Rockabilly Jazz or Country Lead in G...

Thank you for asking and I hope you have a great time...

• Hi Juan, it sounds like you are making great progress on the lessons! Glad to hear that you enjoyed Prettiest Girl in New York. That is my favorite song to play. I think Jim made some good suggestions on a next lesson but believe you may have already taken All Blues and F Jazz Blues. I would highly recommend Country Lead in G for a really fun time. Its like 7 mini lessons in one. Each lead part is progressively more advanced and will show you lots of great approaches and techniques for very catchy and upbeat country style lead. After that you should check out Rockabilly Jazz. Rockabilly Jazz will show you how to play a jazz chord progression over a cool Rockabilly Riff, then Jim teaches a really fun and challenging lead part over the progression that incorporates jazz chords, lead lines, and a lot of other techniques that you will LOVE. I think that both Country Lead in G and Rockabilly Jazz are great lessons if you are looking for fast, fun, and catchy lead techniques. Another REALLY great lesson is Panhandle Rag. Panhandle Rag will teach you some cool Pedal Steel sounding riffs as well as licks that sound like an organ all over a very catchy and fun melody. Panhandle Rag is LOADED with cool improvisational ideas as well.

As far as the down, down, up or down, up, up picking I say whatever sounds good and feels good is right for you!

Great hearing from you Juan and let me know what lesson(s) you go with and how it goes!

CJ
  • Hola amigos del Campy World:
    My last lesson commentes:
    Mr and Mrs Mouse: let´s rock!! very campilonistic lesson: open strings licks, harmonics and interesting chord inversions.
    Progression and voice leading: A must lesson! a lot of concepts and interesting musical theory (and hand streching).
    F jazz Blues: Finall I go back to this lesson and I have no bigs problems. My reflection: 4 months ago I try to do F jazz blues and y cant´t. Then, I work in Bb jazz Blues, Playing the Blues, Playing the Changes and now I have no problems big withs F jazz. Thanks Jim!

Sorry for the English.

Saludos
    jig
  • Hi Juan, it sounds like you are making amazing progress brother! Glad to hear that you got back to F jazz blues. Your path to get there is a great lesson for all. And glad you liked B flat blues. I still feel like B flat is a pivotal lesson that really opens up your playing.
    How is Mr n Mrs Mouse coming along?
  • Hi CJG,
    After 20 CampyLessons I have to say that they are an "inflection point" into my guitar playing. Sincerely: Thank you Mr. J Campilongo!!!
    Now I am working in:
    Fly me to the moon: my second chord melody lesson. A classic.
    Rockabilly Jazz: very challengin......F jazz blues type lesson
    Monkey in a movie: a new trick...the de-tuning, great song...
    Next lesson? Mmm maybe Country Lead or Panhalde Rag.... What do you think?
    Saludos desde Chile
    Juan
  • Hi Juan, it's sounds like I should be getting lesson recommendations from you! Both Country Lead in G and Panhandle Rag are great. Country Lead is like having 6 or 7 "mini lessons" and is really fun. Easy to digest if you know what I mean. Panhandle is similar in that Jim teaches a lot of fun improv parts. Some of which are challenging but very very cool. I would go for Country Lead if I were you as it sounds like your plate is pretty full some other big pieces. Plus, Countrt lead is great to work on in conjunction with other tunes. Let me know how it goes! And how is Fly Me to the Moon?
    Cheers!
  • Hi Juan, just curious as to which lesson you decided on and how is it going?
  • Hi CJG, Now I am doing Country Lead and Tennessee Waltz.
    Have you try Tiramisu? I do it two weeks ago a now is one of my favorite!!

Saludos
    Juan
  • Hey!

just wanted to drop a note in here and talk about Bb Blues. This lesson is ~just~ what I needed and I'm getting a lot
    of mileage out of it. Thanks Jim, for making this available! It's really helping me to improve my ability to handle
    playing through changes.
    This idea of working w/ simple triads (and really internalizing how each triad moves to the next) is the key for me.
    I've been carefully working out that nice solo and observing how each set of chord-tones link to the next change
    (and drilling on these transitions -ironing out my weak spots).

This is really helping me out of "the box" (and i do Love that pentatonic box!) ..but it's satisfying to hit the right guide tones
    when the chord moves.. something that's been a weakness for me ..and this lesson is providing me w/ a means of learning this.

So, Thanks again for this fine lesson. (I'll be hitting "F Jazz Blues Concepts" next I think.)
  • That's great Spacehoof... you might consider "Playing the Blues and Nailing the Changes" ... thanks for the post
  • Hola amigos del mundo campilongo....

Finally I bought a Telecaster american standard 2011 (dont like the 2012 "belly cut").
    Tele+Princeton (reverb in 7) = WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am Working in Panhaldle Rag, When you Wish Upon a Star and Too Far Gone
    My opinion:
    Panhaldle Rag: one the best lessons ever. A lot of material
    WYWUAS: Beatiful and very "Campilonistic" chord Melody. Hear me playin this song with my new Tele trought the Princeton (rever in 8) ma1ke me very proud (thanks Jim!)
    Too far Gone: Nice song!

What's next?: Stardust or Swingin´whit the Cats...........any recomendation?

sorry for my english
    Un abrazo
    Juan Ignacio González (JIG)
    Patagonia, Chile
  • Hi Juan - I would say Swingin', not because I wrote it, but because it's a good overview of a traditional jazz chord progression and some good jazz lead lines.
    By the way, I had no idea what "WYWUAS" was... I laughed aloud when I figured it out.
    Thanks for ordering the lessons and I'm glad you like them.
  • Hi there!!!

Finally I do both: Stardust (best melody ever?) and Swginging with the cats (love the 10 Gallon Cats era)......

Now I am doing "All of Me" and it is a "multiangle" lesson (like Panhaldle Rag or Chet song): Freddie Green comping style, chord melody, and embellesing melody. 100% recomendablle.

Saludos desde Chile
    JIG

P.D.: CJG, are you still there?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!