Endorsements Souldier Fender Celestion Fender Custom Shop D'Addario D'Addario

The Campy Forum

Be polite and respectful. Don't sell stuff. No envy, no fear, no meanness.
Using a looper pedal
  • Hi gang!

I've been trying to record a demo of my Model C, and I wanted to use a looper, like Jim does on his demos, but I'm having trouble getting it right.

I'm using a TC Electronics Ditto v.1: any tips?
  • I also a have a Ditto looper pedal. I'm still getting the hang of it, but if you're trying to record a chord progression that you can play over, I'd recommend playing it once through before stepping on the pedal. Keep tapping your foot throughout and then just tap on the pedal when you get back to the first beat of the progression. Do the same when you get back to the first beat of the progression to complete the loop. So, you'll be playing the progression twice, but only stepping on the looper at the start of the second time around and once again right when the third time around would start. It definitely takes some getting used to to get the timing right.
  • I pretty much do what AJoffee describes above. I start playing, count 4, and step on the pedal on the 1, and then again on the 1 when the repeat comes. I don’t play a complete progression on the lead in unless it’s short.
  • When I first started with a looper, I found this to be helpful - turn on a metronome. play a few bars before you switch on the looper, then when you are finished switch off the looper, but keep playing a few bars. the trick is to not start/stop playing at the same time you are start/stopping the looper...play into the loop and out of the loop...and the metronome helps you keep consistent time. it gets easier and is well worth the effort.
  • I've used looper pedals for several years and have tried nearly all of them. My two favorites are the TC Electronic 4X Ditto and the Digitech JamMan stereo. I agree with AJoffe. I have found the best way to get timing and the pattern down is to start the loop after having played a chord progression or part of the song before stepping on the looper. This not only helps with timing, but it also starts the loop with some resonation, reverb, and the like and it makes the loop sound like a more natural part of the song. The loop tends to fit in the mix a lot better that way.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!