Endorsements Souldier Fender Celestion Fender Custom Shop D'Addario D'Addario

The Campy Forum

Be polite and respectful. Don't sell stuff. No envy, no fear, no meanness.
Another Partscaster
  • The bug to put partscasters together seems to bite me in the springtime - go figure. I plan on building two, possibly, three, this year. This one is what I think of as "Blackguard"- ish. It's not a nitro body, but it is a nice light piece of ash. The neck is a roasted maple fatback, the pickups are Norstrand NVTs, which are both Alnico 3 magnets, and the bridge is a Hahn double-cut toploading bridge (although here I have it strung through the body. The next one will (hopefully) be a more authentic Blackguard recreation with a nitro finish and a '56 V neck (Musikraft), Cavalier pickups (which I love), Glendale bridge (also double cut, toploader), and Rutters saddles. If I build a third, it will be my imitation of a '59.

Attachments
    blackguard_1_full.jpg 20K
  • Very nice! I'm also a big fan of Cavalier pickups. My last Tele had a Nashville bridge and Lion King in the neck position. Great sounding pickups.

I'm curious about your roasted maple neck. From where did you get it? I briefly had a Musikraft roasted maple Strat neck a while back. Got rid of it because I couldn't get along with the profile. But I loved the feel of it. And the one I had smelled like maple syrup. :)
  • Hi BlueCajun,

Sorry, yesterday was hectic. The neck is from Warmoth. It's a nice neck, plays well and has stayed with the relief that I originally set it to (I used it on another guitar before). However, for the build that I will due next, the more "authentic" blackguard, I am getting a Musikraft neck, also roasted, but lightly finished as well, with a modified '56 V-shape. I seem to be relatively neck shape insensitive, as long as they're not too boat-y (like some Martin necks from the '30s) or too thin. I guess that I have a large Goldilocks range of the neck shape spectrum.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!