Endorsements Souldier Fender Celestion Fender Custom Shop D'Addario D'Addario

The Campy Forum

Be polite and respectful. Don't sell stuff. No envy, no fear, no meanness.
Has anyone worked on "here I am" yet?
  • I've barely scratched the surface, but it appears to be a walkdown from g to g, a harmonized minor scale?
  • This is a really beautiful song. I hadn't worked on this song at all, but your post inspired me to do so! I haven't spent much time with it yet, so pardon any mistakes in my transcription of the guitar part (I hope the photo I uploaded works).

The structure of the song seems to be a basic 12-bar blues in G with some interesting harmonization. I think Jim is playing a descending line of dyads that ultimately lead to a G major chord. If you look at bar 2, you see a chromatic walkdown in the bass notes from C to G with harmonized thirds above them. This same walkdown is repeated throughout the song (in bars 6 and 10) and the notes differ slightly in bars 1, 5, and 9 to imply the I-IV-V chord changes of the 12-bar blues. A G7 (I) chord is implied in bar 1. A C7 (IV) chord is implied in bar 5. And a D7 (V) chord is implied in bar 9.

Attachments
    Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 9.19.45 AM.png 25K
  • AJoffe - that's basically it- good job! Almost everything is played on strings 5 & 4 and there is a open G between all doublestops.
  • Thanks Jim! I'm glad to hear I wasn't totally off base. This is a lovely song that I've been humming all day.

-Ari
  • Thanks to both of you!! I've been listening to Dream Dictionary at work, and Live at Rockwood at home!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!