Endorsements Souldier Fender Celestion Fender Custom Shop D'Addario D'Addario

The Campy Forum

Be polite and respectful. Don't sell stuff. No envy, no fear, no meanness.
Vinyl Treasures Column in GP: Rick Derringer.
  • Jim,

Your "Vinyl Treasures" column is the first thing I go to when I get a new issue of GP! Your most recent column on Rick Derringer really struck a chord (get it?) with me!

Years ago..mid 90s...I went to a Johnny Winter show in Milwaukee with Rick Derringer opening. I already knew that he was agreat player and had followed him since "Hang on Sloopy"...but his playing and Strat tone blew me away that night! Sadly..this was (apparently) not the healthiest period for Johnny Winter. He appeared to be not all that aware of what was going on and his playing was lifeless compared to what you were maybe expecting from him. After the show as I was walking across the parking lot I see a crew-member looking guy loading up a Marshall head and a couple guitars into a station wagon that was also pulling a U-Haul trailer. I thought.."Man...I'm so glad I'm not packing up gear tonight..it's cold as hell!" When the car drove past...it was Rick Derringer himself. I felt such respect for this guy and his talent. What a hard worker! I couldn't agree more on what an outstanding example he is/was of a supportive rythmn guitar player on that live album. I also use a lot of Rick Derringer stuff that I learned from listening to him back in the early 70s. He still tours...I'd encourage anyone to make an effort to see him.
  • Danny -

Thank you for your post and I'm happy you like my column. I haven't seen the "official" article I wrote because GP goes to my mothers house. I've been trying to get the address changed for 16 years! Can you believe that?

That said, the editor Michael Molenda is great to work with and his writing skills always brush up my ideas.

I'm glad you liked the article and thank you for your story. Rick Derringer is a great guitar player.

Next month is Santo and Johnny.

Have a great day- Jim

• Jim,

That is funny! You're "JIm Campilongo," you have a regular column in GP, you communicate directly with the Editor-In-Chief...but can't get an address update. Yeah!! Your column is cool...I just wouldn't have learned about a player like Sheldon Bennet without it. I was thrilled to find that album (Swingin' Southern Guitar) available online:) And it does have the best cover ever:)

I really appreciate the knowledge you eagerly share in that column. It's a natural extension of your skills as a guitar teacher too...man you know some stuff!

Thanks..looking forward to your Santo & Johnny column.
  • Thanks Danny - Have a great day - Jim

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!