Endorsements Souldier Fender Celestion Fender Custom Shop D'Addario D'Addario

The Campy Forum

Be polite and respectful. Don't sell stuff. No envy, no fear, no meanness.
High E Bending & Vibrato... Seeking advice.
  • Hi everyone...

I've been working on some of Jim's blues lessons (Playing The Blues - Nailing The Changes, B Flat Blues, etc). I'm having trouble with 4th finger string bends and vibrato on the high E string. I've been playing guitar for many years but never really used my pinky to bend. I guess I'm looking to confirm the proper fretting hand position (thumb wrapped over or against the back of the neck). The confusion started when I was going through 'Bending the Changes.' Jim's vibrato while bending is so smooth. I don't expect to be able to mimic his touch right off the bat. However, I don't want to develop any bad habits that may be difficult to break down the road.

I'm playing a Fender American Vintage '58 Reissue Telecaster (D shaped neck) with .10's... (not looking to change string gauge).

Any opinions and or advice is greatly appreciated! Cheers!

John
  • Hi Striker- Sorry for the video quality but I hope this helps. Thank you for ordering the lessons and have a great day- Jim

• Thanks Jim! Seeing is believing! I recall that bending exercise from the lesson but it helps to see your hand position. I appreciate you taking the time to post a quick video. No substitute for practice, practice, practice...
  • Hi Jim, speaking of practice, If I may add a suggestion: while I think the lessons are perfect as they are, it would be really nice if you could add a quick video of the performance to accompany the lessons - or at least those that would benefit of visual aid. For example, the video you posted for "It's been a long time" helped me immensely in picking up the nuances of the song. Just a thought of course. Anyway, thanks again for all the lessons and please keep them coming!

Rogerio
  • I had the same experience with the It's Been a Long, Long Time lesson - seeing the video was a nice plus.

Also - really appreciate this lesson - thanks!
  • Jim, thank you so much for posting that. I have not tried this particular lesson. But the video on its own is an excellent exercise.
  • Thanks guys- I am working on video but I have a ways to go.

I originally thought the little bending video would be for the forum only in this thread - but it was too large to attach here so I had to go YouTube.

I think the suggestion of including a video clip of the performance in the audio lesson is a good one, and I want to help -it might be doable, assuming the PayLoadz website allows that medium.

Have a great day- Jim

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!