Endorsements Souldier Fender Celestion Fender Custom Shop D'Addario D'Addario

The Campy Forum

Be polite and respectful. Don't sell stuff. No envy, no fear, no meanness.
Live at Du Nord
  • I've spent most of the day listening to Live at Du Nord. While absolutely one of my favourite Campilongo CDs I haven't put it on in over a year. So I have been listening with fresh ears. Man what a great live show! I like everything on this CD but special call out to "Mopey", "Cat under a Car" (still my favourite Campilongo composition) and "Tired, Man" this time around. They really caught my ear.

What do people think of this CD? I did a quick search but it doesn't seem to get much attention here.

Any special memories of this session Jim?

Cheers
    Warren
  • Warren - I remember and still value the kindness and support of Ethic Records and David Reidy- but at the time I wasn't thrilled with the results - to say the least…

Released 17 years ago in 2000 "Live at the DuNord" was my only live show recording (we're currently working on a "Live at Rockwood" record) and my first digital recording on ProTools. "DuNord..." and "Heaven is Creepy" are the only non-Analog recordings I've released as a solo artist. Before the "DuNord" live shows I heard a few test tracks that exhibited a constant snare rattle - you know, when the spring vibrates against the bottom of the snare that's triggered by either bass or guitar? That sound drives me crazy, but I was assured that the unwanted snare rattles would be erased in post- production. Now I know better- and as it turned out, we couldn't erase those reoccurring sounds. That drove me bonkers! So much in fact, I didn't want the record released, but since that was impossible after the investment of time and money- I asked to have my name removed from the Producer credit. I wasn't happy.

Because of that sound and my perception of the record- I didn't listen to "DuNord..." for years.

Shortly after that and over the years I read glowing reviews about “DuNord…” and some folks told me that "DuNord..." is among their favorite Campilongo release. But deep down that didn't matter to me - I was immovably convinced that it was an inferior work. More years passed and Ethic Records had quit manufacturing "DuNord..." and it went out of print. I started seeing it for $100 on eBay - and I was tempted to sell MY copy! ha!

Okay... About seven? years ago I was cleaning my apartment and iTunes was on random shuffle. A track came on and I thought "hey, who is this? I like it!". Yep, it was "Live at the DuNord" and US playing "Mopey". Say what?! I went back and listened to the entire record and I was more then pleasantly pleased & surprised. I think the group of Rob Burger, Scott Amendola and John Evans play brilliantly and it was a good batch of forgotten songs. I'm so grateful this era in my musical life was chronicled and for Dave Reidy who was a saint throughout my difficulties.
    To be totally honest to you- this experience confirmed how neurotic and self centered I can be as an "artist" and had to admit to myself - I don't know what's good or not in the throes of recording a record. Since then, I try to endure the imperfections and accept them - and I've tried not to obsess on every small detail.

For me, "Panhandle Rag" is a standout track because it's such a long loose jam that isn't evident on any of my other eleven CD's- and on "Lipton Tea" Rob Burger plays wonderfully. There's good moments throughout the entire record, I think.

I really appreciate you singling out "Live at the DuNord" and your gracious post- That said- DuNord is very expensive in hard copy, but it is available for affordable download on i-tunes and Amazon.

I hope I didn't ruin it for you! ha ha

Have a great day- Jim

PS - please allow me these links for those who are interested ...

All Campilongo titles available on i-tunes and Amazon
    i-tunes
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/jim-campilongo/id5899913
    Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Campilongo/e/B000APVFT0/works/ref=ntt_mus_teaser?

Live at the DuNord on CD from $96.00 to $600.00!!!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000056C7H/ref=tmm_acd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1488197514&sr=8-1-fkmr0
  • Hello all

Live at the DuNord is one of my favorites as well. Jim, thanks for being so candid in your response. You eluded to the fact that you didn't care for the album in other threads which I always found perplexing. Live albums are my favorite! it's difficult to replicate the energy and interaction between musicians in a studio setting. Particularly if everyone records their parts separately.

Striking the right balance between excellence and obsession is difficult. We get trapped in minute details that others don't even notice. I find studio albums with perfect isolation between instruments and massive amounts of compression really uninspiring and fake sounding. When I listen to Live at the DuNord I hear master musicians at the top of their form. I love all the tracks and even tried my hand at transcribing Mopey. I didn't dare ask in the lesson suggestion section given your disastifaction with the album.

Sounds as if time and another listen has eliminated some of your initial concerns. It's strange to me when gifted people don't recognize excellence in their own performances. Live at the DuNord is excellent!
  • Hi Jim,

Your response was completely unexpected. I don't recall ever reading before that you disliked that recording. I am glad that with time you've come to appreciate it more. I do know what you mean though. Sometimes we are a little too close to our own music to really be able to listen to it well. The duo I am in records and makes our music available online frequently. I have learned to trust my partner's judgement on certain pieces where I think my guitar doesn't sound good or I don't like what I am playing. Usually I just need to give it some space.

No you didn't ruin it for me. :-) Actually, I think I appreciate this gem even more knowing how close it came to not seeing the light of day. I can't tell you the number of times I've put on my headphones and gone for a walk while listening to this particular CD.

I really appreciate your candid response.

Cheers
    Warren
  • Just so it's clear...

"...A track came on and I thought "hey, who is this? I like it!". Yep, it was "Live at the DuNord" and US playing "Mopey". Say what?! I went back and listened to the entire record and I was more then pleasantly pleased & surprised. I think the group of Rob Burger, Scott Amendola and John Evans play brilliantly and it was a good batch of forgotten songs. I'm so grateful this era in my musical life was chronicled and for Dave Reidy..."
  • I too think its my favorite. The cover looks super cool first of all.

I had seen a video or two of Jim, I think playing mr sandman on an old butterscotch tele. I also had a few magazine lessons I had saved because they said Roy Buchanan in them. I wasnt at the playing ability to do the pedal steel like bends but stashed it away for when I was up to the task. I also remember thinking Jim looked like the coolest dude in the magazine article. But I had not really connected yet or heard a ton of music.

I then heard Du Nord. I was sitting on my laptop waiting to walk into class while in college. I remember my friends saying "hi" as I sat outside and I waved them off and was like "ill see you in there". I listened to it non-stop. My friends then walked out of class after it ended and were saying "where were you, why didnt you come to class?".

I remember walking all around boston with my headphone listening to that album non-stop. I mean literally walking around for HOURS. It felt like I finally heard someone who liked the same parts of Roy's playing that I did as opposed to the Gary Moore perspective (though there is NOTHING wrong with that).

The timing was perfect too. I was a little un-inspired on guitar at that point but it got me back in the game. At about the same time too one of my room mates introduced me to a fellow buddhist friend of his, Garrison Fewell, who went on to be a great friend, teacher and mentor to me. He played with Fred Hersch, Tal Farlow, Lenny Breau! Everywhere he took me I would meet amazing musicians. My playing sucked, I remember my first question to him was how to play over a dominant 7 chord.... but he always introduced me as his friend corey "a great guitar player". I think he sensed my frustration with my own playing and my desire to play but not having the resources to learn. He would take me to breakfast near my apartment once a week and bring me music to listen to and books to learn from. It was a great great time for me.
  • wow cwilliams, cool that you got to spend all that time with Garrison. I've been studying with his book 'jazz improvisation a melodic approach' for the past year and half or so. Wonderful resource. Sad to hear of his passing a few years ago.
  • Yea, I have a few really funny stories of my time with him.

My room mate did buddhist chanting near our apartment and always told me there was a great guitar player who taught at berklee who was with them and always asked if I wanted an introduction. I always declined.

Then my room mate came down to my bedroom while I was practicing and had Garrison with him.... as I was literally studying out of his book, the same book you are studying! It just did not feel real at all. I recognized him from the photo in the book. I also called him Mr. "foowell", not knowing how to pronounce his name.

He had the perfect temperment and personality to be an instructor. Though I think I got the watered down version, I heard in his Berklee classes he was a whip cracker.

I use his second book, the companion to the one your are studying, almost daily. Very useful for slow learners like me.

There is a great video of him playing "el is the sound of joy", he adored Sun Ra.
  • That's surreal!

There's videos of him doing a few examples from the first book, and I learned how to do the rest stroke (sweep picking) thanks to him.

I'm close to finishing the book, and plan on picking up the harmonic one once I do. I have a problem with buying more books and studies than I can realistically absorb so I'm trying to curb that.

I am excited to check it out though. They have some of the best sounding excercises, certainly in my Top 5 of books.
  • The second book is a lot more dense.... but its less pages!

I bought the first book in high school after hearing wes for the first time but I was not rdy for it at that point. It sat on the shelf a LONG time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!