Endorsements Souldier Fender Celestion Fender Custom Shop D'Addario D'Addario

The Campy Forum

Be polite and respectful. Don't sell stuff. No envy, no fear, no meanness.
How did you get turned on to Jim?
  • For me, it was TDPRI/PRRI video/Orange.

I think I read about Jim on the TDPRI (Telecaster Discussion Page ReIssue) forum. (I've been a tele guy for a very long time). Someone posted that FAMOUS video of Jim playing the new PRRI. I was instantly hooked. And it was right around the time of Orange, so Orange was my 1st Campy album. Double-hooked!

I now have them all, of course. And not only is it a wonderful library of work, but actually quite diverse, when you compare Orange to Table for One to Cats stuff to Little Willies. Jim was my introduction to "hillbilly jazz" (I knew about it, but didn't own or listen to it, other than through Wayne Hancock, who always has stellar guitar players, like Dave Biller and Eddie Beibel, Paul Skelton)...

Since finding Jim, my collection of hillbilly jazz (Jimmy Bryant, Jimmie Rivers, etc) has grown, as well as my western swing collection. I wonder if Jim did much listening to Bob Wills? I know he listened to the others of the era: George Barnes, etc.

Interestingly, I have not yet gotten into Roy. IDK why. Several times I've gone to listen to him, and occasionally find a gem that I love, but haven't bought any yet... maybe I'm just not "ready" for Roy at this point?
  • I got the first Little Willies album back in '06. I was so impressed with Jim's playing that I started a thread about it on the TDPRI and Jim ended up responding. So I started following him through the TDPRI and Myspace (which was still a thing) and I've been a fan ever since.
  • Actually, now that you mention it was the Little Willies that got you started, I am a HUGE Norah Jones fan... and now that I think about it, I think it was also the Little Willies along with the PRRI video and Orange, sort of all at the same time... that's the problem with getting older... the memory begins to fail LOL
  • For me it was the first 20 seconds of Fender's PRRI promotional video with Jim. I'd never heard of Jim before. I didn't know what a Princeton amp was before either but there was quite a bit of excitement on the forum I was reading (might have been TheGearPage) so I checked it out. 20 seconds of listening to that haunting rendition of "Wishful Thinking" and I was hooked.

Cheers
    Warren
  • For me it was the Fender Princeton Reverb , 'commercial' I found on YouTube . At that moment I googled a lot and bought my first Campilongo CD "Orange" . Now I have them all.

https://youtu.be/gHVG4kDurtY

Regards,
    Clavan
    (Netherlands , Europe)
  • South City.

Jim has been a friend since grammar school. You know the cliché about talented artists / athletes being even better people? Well in Jim's case it is true. He has never changed.

It's a lot of fun tracking Jim's musical journey over the years. I love reading this forum and do so often. His lesson downloads have and continue to inspire. Hearing his voice on the lessons is like having him back in the hood.

Jim, I apologize in advance.
  • For me it was via The Gear Page. I read a review of Heaven is Creepy, picked it up and was hooked. Still one of my favorite albums, and I remember listening to it nonstop on a road trip from DC to Penn State. From there it was on to the rest of the catalog.

When I was still on the East Coast, I had a chance to see Jim at The Living Room, and had a great time. I was in NY for work, and shuffled over by myself after a long day. So glad I did. Jim was nice enough to sign a vinyl copy of Orange for me, and I babbled something about Heaven is Creepy being my favorite album. Have it framed in my music room - thanks, Jim!
  • It was 2003, and through TDPRI.com. Jim was coming to Finland so another Finn from TDPRI.com asked me to join the gig in the middle of nowhere by a beautiful lake. Only had listened to the tracks on the site, which sounded very weird, too far out for my liking. But I went for the summer guitar geek fun of it.

Half way there on the train (took maybe 3hrs from the city of Helsinki), the guy called that his wife just left him, so he was drunk and skipping the gig. So I only met the guy 6 months later when Jim was again in Finland (in Helsinki this time).

But I saw the gig, bought American Hips. I even called Jim from the reception of the local hotel, he was having a nap, so Mr. Klon Centaur (Bill?) took the call instead as they were travelling together. Anyway, the gig was brilliant, as was the setting. Wish I had photos. Perfect country side setting, lovely Northern European summer weather. Like 100 people in the audience, right on a still lake. Jim noted that the bass was inaudible, I did not notice any of that, I was standing on the lawn front and center like less than 5m away. It just blew my mind. There were some bands playing after Jim but I left, as everything felt lame after what I had experienced.

I wish I had a better chat with Keith Wyatt that was there as well, as just that morning I was learning some licks off one of his books. The other Finn actually met his current wife the night we went to see another Campilongo gig and both of them were on the next time Jim was here. Oh well, all this before Jim got famous and stopped coming by. :'‑(

I have all the albums, though the live one only as mp3s (bought, not ripped).
  • Ruger: I never really got into Buchanan either. Bits on the first two albums sound great, but that's just bits, not all. But I have watched the Buchanan PBS documentary many times:

Well, Danny Gatton was never my fave, but I would also love to see the Humbler doc that I think is to be released soon.
  • rugar9 - Thank you for your kindness and generosity... Roys first LP is great and I think you'd love it- You're ready!
    Attachments
    roy_buchanan_-_roy_buchanan-front.jpg 40K
  • PS- this thread is interesting- I'm always curious how folks "discover" my music. Thank you!
  • My introduction to Jim was, like so many of you, watching the Fender Princeton Reverb video. Next I checked the MP3s on his website - which I still listen to from time to time - and I knew right away I was listening to an unique player. I purchased Heaven is Creepy soon after that and the compositions made a huge impression on me. But I guess what really turned me on were the lessons. Jim's approach to guitar and music in general have changed my playing and made me focus on what is really important: learning songs and finding my own voice on the instrument.
  • Make it one more for Finland. Public radio played Cats, I think it was. I found it intriguing. That was about 10 years ago. Bought the Cats on iTunes, then others. By chance I found Jim was coming to Helsinki, went there and have seen every show here since. Tried to introduce a buddy of mine to Jim's music, but he just couldn't get it! I always felt there was something interesting going on in Jim's music, like some kind of weird story where interesting characters, dead or living, appear and share anecdotes... meanwhile keeping the feet planted in the ground. Makes sense? Who cares. Anyhow, it's not for everyone. Jim's Super Bowl appearance might still be far in the future!
  • I liked his GP columns back in the 90's. Jim had/has a knack, like Chet Atkins in his GP column, to illustrate a musical concept that could be applied in many ways, with the perfect example. They barely needed any explanation.
  • SF Bay Guardian had a small snippet about him, saying he was a local guitar player to check out. He was playing with Preacher Boy and the Natural Blues. I caught a gig in one of the small rooms at the Paradise Lounge (downstairs).

The music was great; Preacher Boy's
    voice was incredible. I think Ralph Carney was played hug with them too. Anyways, Jim played a solo and started twisting his tuning peg and it blew my mind. I started laughing (because what else would you do). It was rad.

was fortunate to catch some of the Above Paradise residency shows (with the 10 Gallon Cats).

Last year was my first time in New York and I made sure it coincided with one of his 55 Bar gigs. Woah. That was a great moment in my life.

Chris
  • a great old thread on this (sorry if it's been posted above and i missed it)

http://jimcampilongo.com/forum2/discussion/58/how-did-you-first-discover-jim-campilongo#Item_57
  • Several years back in a buddies garage. I was living in Los Angeles, and we were prepping our bikes for a race that weekend in Bakersfield when he put "Orange" on. The best part of the story is the fact that my buddy doesn't play the guitar (or any instrument), he simply loved the tunes.

Ironically, I had been listening to Cake's "Prolonging the Magic" and both Little Willies albums on repeat for years, and just hadn't connected them with Jim.
  • These are really nice - thanks you guys
  • Hello everyone, Jim -

I found Jim on a search for "telecaster jazz" and landed on the lovely piece, 'Jim talks Telecasters & Princetons'. (The guys I play with are Princeton people, for all the good reasons.)

I'm a drummer just picking up fretted instruments (this will amuse many of you), and am trying to find musical guitar influences as I learn my first chords (very, VERY amusing, I am sure).

As a New Yorker for over 20 years and no stranger to 55 Bar (up until '07), I still had never heard of Jim, but was delighted this week by his enthusiasm and generous, uninhibited sharing -- no less than his musicality. Jim seems like he would be a great, natural teacher; and I'm looking forward to receiving Orange and looking into the stock lessons when I get up the hill.

Blesssings, - SH
  • A bandmate and friend of mine took a trip to New York and saw Jim in a club. He bought "Heaven is Creepy," brought it home and played it for me. Been a fan since!

I just discovered I had heard him years before that though, on Cake's 'Prolonging the Magic' record. An album I really enjoyed in my high school years.
  • I first heard of Jim through Guitar Player magazine. I'm a Tele guy, a '68 and two Warmoths that I built and finished myself. Current project is an Allparts Paisley body. It will have Seymour Duncan stacked p'ups and a four-way switch. Still looking around at necks - I insist on Made in U.S.A. parts. Jim, thanks for the music!
  • I found Jim's music a little over a year ago... I believe his name popped up along some TDPRI thread discussing 'Tele-Masters.' I then found 'Orange' on Spotify and was blown away. His tunes have been digitally spinning daily ever since. I've downloaded most of his albums on iTunes (including Orange to support the artist), purchased a lesson or two along with Truefire's Sonic Tele and just recently saw a great show at the 55 Bar. Looking to get to Rockwood soon!

My 6 year old son may be a little Campy'd-out but he can play whatever he wants when the car payment and mortgage are in his name!

Thanks for the inspiration Jim!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!