Endorsements Souldier Fender Celestion Fender Custom Shop D'Addario D'Addario

The Campy Forum

Be polite and respectful. Don't sell stuff. No envy, no fear, no meanness.
princeton reissue help?
  • I first was exposed to jim's music through the video he did for the reissue princeton-in fact it made up my mind on the amp and I bought it.

I definately made the right choice-it's a great amp and i'm rarely away from it,however I was just wondering if theres anybody on here who can give me some advice.

When I crank the amp AND the bass it gets really flubby on the lows and sounds bad-If i'm gonna crank it I need my settings down to like 2 or 3 for the bass(and subsequntly for the treble).

Having read about jims own settings he can have the bass all the way up to 10-how can he do it? The only changes i'm aware he makes to his his amp are the bia and swapping the speaker,so are these the answer?

I don't particularly want to copy jims sound or anything. I can get a a good cranked tone out of my amp now but I feel there's a GREAT tone waiting to be had.

Any ideas?
  • Hey GM,
    there's nothing wrong with your amp, that's how blackface fenders are, yes you can get here and there some improvement, speaker, tube rectifier, caps, old RCA's but it's always gonna be flabby and yes it's a nasty sound.
    Playing low powered amps and a single 10" requires a certain attitude and control especially in a band situation.
    If you want to set your amp like this, the amp will be super sensitive and you need to start using your guitars volume and tone control as well as adjust your playing. Where and how hard you pick your string, with the pick or with your fingers will give you all you need to control your sound, and use your ear, if it doesn't sound or feel good to you or nothing like Jim it's one of the above.
    I my opinion learning how to have "good tone" is very important, you can do way more with it then an amazing player with no tone. You can play this one note and everybody will feel and get it.
    And very important, you gotta have a sense of humor, that flabby bass should just put a smile in your face at the moment you want to use it, people think your amp's exploding and you smile.
    Hope this helps you to achieve what you're after.
    Cheers
  • Thanks esquire for that brilliant answer.
    Yeah I had heard that the flubby bass was a common trait on these amps but I just couldn't figure how some players got round it without modifications(apparently a replacement output transformer will sort it).

I don't really want start modifying my amp to much.

It makes sense that it's jims touch....................so i'm off too practise!

Thanks again!

• Hi, first posting here. I, too, pulled the trigger on a Princeton Reverb Reissue after watching Jim's Fender promo. Knew i wanted a nice tube amp-had looked at numerous ones, but that video nailed it for me. Not quite an answer to the question, just a comment. All the best, guys.
  • I agree with Esquire. Tone can easily be more important than notes. Lately I've been telling my kids "It's not what you say, it's how you say it". That applies to them musically and parentally ;) And it totally applies to tone....also phrasing.

If you need more volume, mic that little amp on stage into the PA, get used to what it can do and can't do. I like Esquire's example us using that flabby bass and smiling when you want to use it.
  • Replace the baffle and the speaker on a Re-issue , no flub, no fart. A Jensen neo 10-100 will work great will minimal weight increase. Others have had good results with higher power weber ceramic speakers.
  • Set the bias first. Usually the come very cold from Fender.
  • Change the stock tubes for NOS as Jim does (or JJs) and replace the output transformer with a T20 (google PRRI mods). This'll get better low end with the existing speaker.
  • i also purchased a prri thanks to Jim's endorsement... I think they must have given Jim a nicer amp then what they sell... I was thoroughly disappointed... The amp's cabinet is junk... I replaced it with an all pine version from mojo... I also had a "Flubby" bass sound... I replaced the tubes and that helped... I also changed the speaker.... all in all I wish I knew how much id be spending on a reissue.. I should have just spent the money on a silver face and gotten the real thing.

There are certain noises you should expect from a small combo amp... I understand this. I am however, dissapointed in fender for using junky tubes and poor cabinet construction on an amp that is almost 1000 dollars.
    even the new eric clapton hand-wired amps have crappy tubes in them. I just don't understand it.

I will say that jj tubes are a nice economical upgrade for tubes. NOS tubes are most likely best... I cannot afford the luxury at the moment..

also if you want NOS tubes and cant afford a full tube swap...just change the pre amp tubes to NOS and use JJ for the Power tube section
  • I wanted to add a small bit of philosophy. This may all be well understood and I hope not to offend but I started thinking of particular amps as starting places. Kind of like buying a house. Buying a house you try to get as much on your list as you can but expect to do a bit of remodeling to make it yours. I know the Princeton Re-issue is about $1000 so it seems it should be good to go. Jim has documented the tweaks he makes to all his amps. So it seems that even with the entry level price that the amp needs a bit of tweaking.

I have a Fender Blues Deluxe that is a completely different animal. In Seattle we are lucky enough to have a local amp guru named John Fromel. For a few hundred dollars he can take a good solid amp like a Blues Deluxe and tweak it into a VERY good amp. I love playing through my Blues Deluxe now. It's something I really look forward to after work.

I really appreciate Jim being willing to post up the things he tweaks. I'm considering buying a Princeton Re-issue used but I'm planning on tweaking right away to some of Jims specifics.

Anyhow that is how I approach amps. I hope it helps and I feel for anyone who purchased an amp that doesn't perform how they hoped it would. Maybe a few tweaks and you'll have the dream tone you're looking for.

Best of luck and thanks jim for so much great info.

Scott

• Hi guys
    I have Princeton reverb reissue and I'd like to replace the speaker (jensen c10R) with Weber Vintage Ceramic 10F150T 50watt. Do you think is a good choise to sounds better?
  • I too started looking more seriously at the Princeton Reverb Reissue amp after seeing a couple of videos featuring Mr. Campilongo. However, having experienced the common bass note flubby sound of some small wattage amps with 10-inch speakers (I have a Fender Super Champ X2), and having a wonderful Deluxe Reverb RI with a 12-inch speaker that just sounds super (albeit a bit heavier to lug around than a Princeton), I punted and found a wonderful Princeton Reverb “Limited Edition” in Blue Tolex with a 12-inch Celestion G12 Alinco Blue. My oh my what a great tone. That amp has that wonderful “just breaking up” sound I just can’t seem to get from the Deluxe Reverb without really cranking the volume up. I am thoroughly enjoying my new “Reissue” Princeton with the 12-inch speaker!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!